Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Small Town Uniformity

OK, this one is a bit of a bleat. I live in a small rural town. For the most part I like the lifestyle and convenience of living here. I am not too far away from the city to get my fix of that when I want it, so I really have it pretty good.

However, I really don't understand the "uniform" mentality that seems to go on in small towns. I know I'm generalising and would like to know if this is common to all small towns. Why is it that there is such intolerance of diversity and anyone who is being unique? Why is it seen as important for everyone to think and act the same? Why can't people just be accepting and inclusive of all aspects of their community? Sometimes I feel like I am living in the past where rules were rigid and difference was unacceptable.

I think that this mentality is instilled from a very early age. It is amazing that all the main primary schools in this area insist on a uniform for the students. I tried to rebel against this when my children were young, but it was made very difficult for me as it was always my children who would suffer if they were not in correct uniform - I had many battles over this and had to allow my children to decide. I recall one time when my 5 year old was kept in class until everyone else had gone because he was not wearing uniform. What they did was, at the end of the day they said.. "now everyone who is wearing the correct uniform can leave..... Now those of you with some of the uniform can go......Now those with the school colour on can go...." Leaving the few (including my little boy) without anything like their uniform to be 15 minutes late leaving. I was parked outside waiting and getting very anxious as he did not appear (usually he was one of the first ones out the gate). What kinds of adults treat children that way? The kinds that go on to treat all people that way... they think if people are not with you they are against you, instead of just not in agreement. Anyone who dares to be different and not fit their mould is an outcast and marginalised.

Well I could go on and on... but what I'd really like to know is if this is common in other small towns. Please let me know

No comments:

Post a Comment